Friday 27 February 2009

A stones throw away...

Since I began this training program (around Jan 1st) I have been watching what I eat. I hesitate to use the word diet (as that is something my Mum would do) but I have certainly been eating less than I was before and definitely eating less crap. It is the first time in my life I have actively not eaten whenever I am hungry, so I have spent significant periods wanting to eat!

I have a long held theory that if we returned to the diets of the 1950's (the pre-junk food age) and just concentrated on eating three square meals a day - our health as a nation would be much better. So this is predominantly what I have done. I have still maintained a hearty breakfast (cereal/ toast), I have had a lunch including fresh fruit (unfortunately the chocolate is absent!) and an evening meal. I have given up the snacks mid-morning (this was usually a cereal bar - a wolf in sheeps clothing if ever there was one). I have also tried not to snack in the evening on biscuits or confectionary (a danger time for all parents of small children. You definitely crave a treat once they are packed off to bed!).

I am not perfect though, I still have one or two achilles heels. Mainly mine are eating late at night and eating too much breakfast cereal (I usually have a bowl at night after my evening training sessions). I have tried to steer towards wholegrain cereals and muesli rather than high sugar brands but I am sure any dietician would tell me I would be better off with neither!

The net result of all this? I weighed myself last night and I have lost a stone in weight! This is since Jan 1st, so about seven pounds a month. I am now 14 1/2 stone, so about half way to target. I imagine that the next stone will be much harder to shift but that doesn't stop me feeling pleased with my progress so far.

While I am on, another half way target nearly reached this week. We are just shy of the £1,000 mark in the fundraising! A great effort from all who have contributed. Many thanks to you all.

Take care and happy eating,

Col.

No comments:

Post a Comment