Monday 2 February 2009

The Ride

I suppose as part of this blog, I should share with you the ordeal that I have let myself in for. In a moment of madness I have decided to ride the Etape Caledonia, an 81 mile cycle ride through rural Perthshire. It is due to take place in mid-May. Hopefully by then the snow will have cleared!

In order to understand what is ahead, I should initially explain for the non-cyclists the concept of the cyclosportive. It not a race but a mass participation ride that covers a set course. Some will cover the distance at incredible speed, others at a more sedentary pace. I will be one of the latter.

The most famous cyclosportive is the Etape du Tour, which is literally a stage of the Tour de France. Each year, on one of the rest days for the pro's, ordinary cyclists like you or me are allowed the opportunity to try and complete a stage of the Tour de France. It usually covers one of the most grueling stages of the race and requires the upmost in fitness and preparation to complete.

Events like this are now incredibly popular. In the UK alone, there will be around one hundred such events this year. What makes the Etape Caledonia special is that, like the Etape du Tour, it is covered on closed roads with no traffic. It is unique amongst UK events in being able to boast this road freedom. The thought of decending at speed on the wrong side of the road is exciting me and scaring me in equal measure at the moment!

The Route -

The event will begin and end in Pitlochry, Highland Perthshire. As you can imagine for rural Scotland, Perthshire is not particularly flat! My only experience of riding there before nearly ended in hypothermia as a "friend" and I made our way to a hotel on the night before a wedding we were due to attend! I am hoping that if nothing else, I will judge my clothing a little better this time!

As I mentioned we will cover 130 km / 81 miles and the total climbing will lead to an ascent of 1,949m. I only hope I have done some useful training by then...

Details, including a course map and profile can be viewed here:

http://www.etapecaledonia.co.uk/

To give you an idea, this is by far the longest distance I will have ever cycled in one go. My current record is about 65 miles. I have done this twice when riding the Bealach na Ba climb in the Scottish highlands. This is Britain's highest mountain road pass. That in itself was quite and achievement but both times it very nearly killed me! True, the Etape doesn't have such a large climb in the route but it does still have a fairly significant lump in the middle! How I will manage the longer distance (in my much inferior physical state) I do not know...? I guess only time will tell.

In the mean time all the best and cross your fingers for me,

Col.

No comments:

Post a Comment