Tuesday 17 February 2009

Spin City

One of the cornerstones to my new training regime has been the discovery of spin classes. I have known about spin classes for ages but have never found one at a location and time that suited me - until now. Since the turn of the year I have been spending an hour or so every Tuesday evening getting sweaty in a squash court with about twenty other people. Sound like fun? It is!

For the uninitiated, a spin class involves a group of people riding stationary bikes (similar to normal gym bikes but a bit more bikey - no huge foam saddle or upright handlebars) lead by an instructor at the front of the class - aerobics style. During the course of the class the riders will copy the moves set by the instructor. These vary in such ways as sitting, standing, fast pace, slow pace etc. The main variable for the participant is the resistance calibration of the bike. Each bike has a large, heavy flywheel at the front, which is driven as the pedals turn. There is a friction "brake" attached, which can be turned gradually on or off. This makes it either easy or hard to pedal.

One added plus of the spin bikes I found is that their double sided pedals are compatible with my (shimano) cycling shoe cleats. So I can clip into the pedals and don't have to use the toe clips and straps. This is particularly good news for me as I have a dodgy big toe on my right foot and the straps dig into it.
I have found the classes really useful. Turbo training is ideal for fitness riding and weight loss (what the coaches would call Zone 1, or low heart rate, riding) but to ride at a higher level requires a good deal of self motivation and discipline. Spin class takes care of that no problem. Being in a group fires the competitive spirit and you can make it as easy or as hard as you like as you choose your own resistance.
We usually cover a range of riding during the 45 minute class. We warm up, then there are a range of hill riding (high resistance), sprinting (high cadence) and posture (horrid riding in an upright position between seated and standing, which makes the legs really burn). You can certainly feel it in the legs at the end of a class. My only problem with it is that I seem to sweat enough for two people! Very unattractive but I am taking it as a sign of the good hard work I am putting in!
Happy training,
Col.


No comments:

Post a Comment