Friday 13 February 2009

Geoff Thomas Foundation

I am a confirmed sports anorak, always have been. Ever since I can remember I have read the newspaper back to front (well mostly just the back actually). I have loved watching every sports bulletin going and loved reading about all sports (apart from horse racing - that's not sport, it's just odd). I devour all sorts of sports literature - books, newspapers, magazines and latterly the internet.

When I was younger my sport (to follow rather than necessarily to play, although I obviously did) was football. Not a thing happened in the Premiership (or First Division as it was then) without me knowing about it. I am a particular type of fan, armchair if you like. I don't particularly enjoy live football. I have never been a terrace man. This is partly a comment on football crowds in the UK, partly a comment on my love of sport at the highest level rather than local level (sorry, I would always take the Milan derby over Grimsby v Scunthorpe...), and partly because growing up I watched football on the telly - and that spoils you with regard to close ups, replays and camera angles. Live football can come second as far as watching quality is concerned. Talk about opening a can of worms...

Anyway, because of this fan boy worship, I was very aware of who Geoff Thomas was. I knew he played for Palace. I knew he was their captain. I loved him for guiding them to a win over Liverpool in the cup semi-final (a very hot day as I remember, both semis played back to back, watched them at my mate John's as a sixteen year old). He was also then soon the enemy when they played United in the final (my team - who else would a boy from Grimsby grow up supporting? in actual fact it is Bryan Robson's fault - one of my early heroes).

I was also very aware that Geoff had played for England. To be honest, I liked him as a player. I liked him playing for England. I am very clear that England players need to have good quality but I also want them to really want to play for England. Geoff certainly seemed to want to do that. I was not a Graham Taylor fan - he didn't unfortunately have the requisite quality - but I did think Geoff merited his call ups.

That being said, I know about "that chip". I think it was and is blown all out of proportion, so I am not going to talk about it too much. Players have done much, much worse and kept their place without ridicule. Personally, I would have chosen Thomas over some of the others about at the time, Carlton Palmer anyone? I think he was treated very harshly but I also think he can have the last laugh - as they did crap without him.

I do not remember (as always, memory failure) whether I knew he was ill. I am not sure if I just knew about his illness retrospectively once he started riding his bike.

Later in life, I had a personal return to cycling. I have become a cycling anorak now. I devour all sorts of cycling literature - magazine, books, internet, forums etc. It was through these (and watching the tour highlights) that I heard of Geoff's Tour de France ride in 2005. I donated money to his cause via justgiving.com I was amazed by his story and was only too aware of my own cancer link.

To be honest, I kind of forgot about him after that apart from the odd article in Cycling Weekly (I read about his failed plans to do the RAAM - Ride across America - and his second Tour ride in 2007) until I bought and read his incredibly honest book just after Christmas. It coincided with my final hospital visit (I was still reading it when I was sat in the waiting room) and therefore The Geoff Thomas Foundation was very much in my thoughts when I was seeking a charity to support for my ride. I think their work is incredibly worthwhile and I was also impressed that they had a specific plan for where the money they raised would be used. I am also in awe of Geoff as a person and I have great respect for his work and his achievements.
The Geoff Thomas Foundation can be found here:
videos of his 2007 Tour ride are here:
http://www.cyclefilm.com/geoffthomas.html

I hope that my efforts can help Geoff and his team to reach their targets. I also hope you approve of my choice of charity.
Take care and all the best,
Col.

No comments:

Post a Comment