Tuesday 3 February 2009

The GT Thing

Never having written a blog before, I had no idea what to call it when I did. I decided after a bit of thought on "GT Winner". Why? I hear you cry. Well, here is a bit of an explanation.

There is the obvious link with Geoff Thomas. I wanted to keep in the forefront of my (and everyone elses) mind just why I had taken on this challenge. I have found Geoff a true inspiration and I hope in my own small way to help his organisation to reach its goals. I class him as a winner, any cancer survivor as a winner and also aim to be a winner by completing my ride - hence the winner bit.

However, there is a secondary, slightly more obscure "cycling related" reason for the GT stuff. In professional cycling there are two groups of major titles to be won. The "stage races" competed for over consecutive days and the single day "classics" races. By far the best known are the small group of stage races known as the Grand Tours. These include The Tour de France, The Giro D'Italia (Tour of Italy) and the Vuelta Espana (Tour of Spain). These Grand Tours are the hardest, longest and most prestigious of all cycle races. Only a very select few get to ride these races. An even smaller number can count themselves a contendor. Only the finest reach the level of Grand Tour (GT) Winner!

So now you know ;-)

Cheers,

Col.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog Col, keep it up and hope you're loving the sweaty cupboard. Not too many of the semi naked pics, though, thanks. E

    ReplyDelete