Sunday 1 February 2009

Cancer Survival

I was initially diagnosed with testicular cancer in 1999 (the year of Lance Armstrong's first Tour de France victory). The chain of events was realatively simple and predictable. Self examination lead to a nervous appointment with the GP, lead to a (scarily soon) hospital visit, lead to surgery and finally to a month of radiotherapy. After that it was recovery and crossing of fingers...



So it was that I recently attended hospital for my routine annual Oncology check up. I have been attending these appointments and their associated ultrasounds, chest x-rays and blood tests for a long time now. Latterly, it has just been once a year. At one time it was every few weeks.



I am fortunate to not be one of lifes worriers, my memory is too poor, but once I knew the appointment was looming all the old fears returned. Every time an appointment came round, no matter how long it had been, there was always a nagging voice at the back of my mind telling me that this would be the time they would find something. This would be the time it would come back.



So, imagine my surprise, joy, fear and elation when I walked into my appiointment and the consultant told me that this was my ten year anniversary (I really didn't know, as I said, crap memory) and that he would be discharging me! There was the formality of another blood test and one last chest x-ray for luck but in essence, that was it, done. I could now finally put this thing to bed. Never say never but the experts were not expecting it to come back. I could now finally call myself a cancer survivor!



This has taken some time to sink in but I have to say I like the feel of it. It has made me incredinbly aware of how lucky I am and of how different things could have been. I am also acutely aware of the fact that not everyone who suffers from cancer gets the outcome that I did.



With that in mind, I have decided to try and raise some money to try and improve the odds for everyone. I am going to participate in the 81 mile Etape Caledonia CycloSportive in May to raise money for the Geoff Thomas Foundation. This is a charity and a man that I feel I can associate with. I will keep you posted on my preparations for the ride and what is involved. I will also let you know some info on Geoff and his charity.



Please sponsor me on the ride. You can donate very easily at



http://www.justgiving.com/colinmoulson



Take care and live happy,



Col.



Colin Moulson.

1 comment:

  1. Very moving reading. Coupled with the look of this man in lycra, well worth a sponsorship. I'm still not getting on the tandem.

    ReplyDelete