Saturday 2 May 2009

The Bike

I cannot believe that I have gotten this far and I have not yet really mentioned the bike. After all, I would struggle to do the Etape Caledonia without one! For me one of the great things about cycling is that it provides dual enjoyment. Yes, I love riding my bike but I also just love bikes...

Over the last couple of years in particular, I think I have spent as much time building and mending bikes as I have riding them! I think it is a man thing. We all seem to like to have a passion or hobby that we can get truly over-indulgent about. For some men it is cars, for some it is computers but for me it is definitely bikes. There is something about the cogs and sprockets and oil and grease of it all that just appeals. I blame my Dad, who has always been an inveterate tinkerer and DIY kind of guy.

Now, if you were thinking of buying a bike, there are (broadly speaking) two ways that you could go about it. You can buy a complete bike from a bike shop (as most sensible/ normal people would do) or you can buy it piece by piece and then build it all up into your pride and joy. This second route is definitely not cost effective (or time efficient for that matter) but it does provide almost limitless scope for pouring over catalogues and websites of components and specifying each individual part just the way you want it. I could spend hours (what do I mean could, I do spend hours, just ask my wife) pouring over cycling magazines looking at the specifications of various bikes and components. What more could a man dream of...

When I returned to cycling about ten years ago, I purchased a cheap Claud Butler road bike from the guys at Craig McMartin's on Pollokshaws Road. It was a good starting point (both from the point of view of riding and my introduction to bike "fettling"). I then went on to a Specialized Allez (lovingly bought for me as a birthday present by my wife). This was/ is an awesome bike. It may have a relatively low spec by some peoples standards but I have always loved it. It has suited me well irrespective of the type of riding. I have used it for general riding, racing, time trialling and it is currently in use as my winter bike with mudguards and panniers.


As I started riding (and reading) more, I began to lust after a faster bike (This is an interesting concept in itself as the thing that makes the most difference to how fast a bike goes is nothing to do with the hardwear, ie the rider!). I was so impressed with the Specialized Allez that I was keen to keep the same frameset. There are bikes higher up in the range than the one I had but none of them tickled my fancy. I searched around and managed to find a frame only deal that was the same as mine from what was Oldham Cycles. I duly bought it and set about choosing the components.

I wanted to give Campagnolo a try rather than the all pervasive Shimano groupsets. At the time, there were no Specialized bikes with Campag(nolo) components. I have always been a sucker for aesthetics as far as bikes are concerned. Things have to match. No purple bar tape and red saddles for me. The theme for this bike was black and white, styled on the La Pierre bikes ridden by the Francais Des Jeux team at the time. Bearing this in mind, I chose a black groupest, Campag Mirage. Not the best by any stretch but visually awesome and the poor mans Record! I asked Glasgow's finest bike mechanic, Willy to order a groupset for me and to build the bike up (this was one bike I wanted to be perfect, so no home build here). I chose Campag Vento wheels to keep the theme going throughout the bike. Finishing kit was mainly Specialized, with a carbon pave seatpost and stem.

I think the outcome was near perfect. The bike looks awesome and rides like a dream. It is light (comparitively), smooth and comfortable. It gives off a real air of speed. I think (I am being very honest here, particularly bearing in mind what is to come) I would be happy riding this bike for many years. It suits perfectly the type of rides that I do, usually one or two hours with no huge climbs.

However, when I signed up for the Etape Caledonia, my mind obviously started to wander...(as I said, boys love their toys) To give you some background to my musings, there is a theory that Aluminium (from which the Specialized is made) can give a slightly harsh ride. I have steel framed bikes (a very forgiving material) and I can vouch that the ride is definitely different. It is a slightly softer, less twitchy experience. Does this take away from the feeling of speed? Hard to say. The general feeling (within the cycling community) is that Aluminium is not a great frame material for riding long distances. For this type of riding, the preferred materials are steel, titanium or carbon. Carbon is theoretically perfect as it has a very high strength to weight ratio and can be formed into nearly any shape. For me, titanium is just something to be lusted after as it is outwith my price range...)0:

So it was that I plumped for a new bike (in reality it had as much to do with the fall in the Bank of England base rate as it did my mood!) I have always admired the Specialized Roubaix (a carbon, high spec version of my Allez, specifically designed for riding longer distances) but they have changed it a bit recently and I am not so keen. It is also pretty dear for what it is. Then I saw a new kid on the block, the Ribble Sportive Carbon. I saw it and instantly had to have one...

The only problem is that a few hundred other folk seem to have had the same idea. The bike has been sold out for months. I telephoned the guys at Ribble (they were very helpful) and was advised that the frame should be back in stock at the end of April (it turns out they were coming from the Far East - Taiwan? and Ribble had paid for air freight rather than sea to try and get them quicker). Unfortunately, April has come and gone and still no bike. I have all of the components and the wheels, just no frame...

I think they may have now arrived in the UK. I may still take delivery of it before the Etape. However, it will still need to be assembled and there is a limit to the number of favours I can ask of Willy. Also, do I really want to be riding 81 miles on a bike I have never sat on before? I am not sure. I would ideally have liked to get at least some training in on it before the event. I suppose these questions will all get answered over the next week or so but it is looking more likely that the Sportive Carbon will be a very nice finishing prize, rather than my steed for the day. Not to worry, it is the legs that count really...(0:

Happy riding,

Col.

No comments:

Post a Comment