Friday 15 May 2009

2 days to go...

Only two days to go now and I am starting to dread the thought of Sunday. Sorry to be doom and gloom at this late stage but this is due to a combination of factors.

I am feeling a little under pressure (the fundraising is going really, really well and thank you to everyone who has dipped into their pockets over the last week, it is all really appreciated) but this does mean that the stakes are being ramped up. Also, the weather has taken a definite turn for the worst (gone is our mini-heatwave back is the familiar rain).

However, I don't think these are the primary reasons for my malaise. I think this has another cause, namely the fact that I am averaging about four hours sleep a night. My son, Ben, is unfortunately not well and has been up most nights over the last week. Add to this the fact that his sister, Skye, has a hacking cough and I wouldn' be surprised if I am coming down with something...aarghh!

It's not all doom and gloom though. The new bike has arrived and Willy has truly pulled out all the stops and got it on the road for me (despite an ill fitting seatpost shim, he just made a new post appear "as if by magic" just like the shop keeper in Mr Ben!). Took it for a test ride this morning (not far, about 15 miles) and I can happily report that it rides like a dream. It is comfortable, fast and handles perfectly. The biggest revelation surprisingly though has to be the new Campagnolo Veloce groupset - what a stunner. Multiple up and down shifts, front and rear, even under load. A huge improvement on anything I have ridden before. I just hope the crappy Scottish weather isn't going to go and get it all dirty!

Anyway, I am off to finish packing my bags. I pick up the hire car tomorrow lunchtime and then it is off to Pitlochry to meet up with the support crew (TA you know who you are!), register and try to get some sleep.

I may not get to post again before the ride, so once again thank you all and wish me luck...

Cheers,

Col.

No comments:

Post a Comment