Thursday 12 March 2009

Tools of the Trade

One of the great attractions of being a cyclist is the need for cycling specific "kit". Once you start riding a bike you soon realise that there is an almost endless list of things you can purchase to increase your riding pleasure. You start off thinking you just need a bike. Then you need a pump, then a puncture repair kit, then lights, helmets, tools. Soon you think a pair of padded shorts might aid your comfort. Then you need a matching top, and a jacket, and shoes for the job, that need specific pedals, and so it goes on...
Cycling kit can range from the mechanical (frames, wheels, cogs, sprockets, derailleurs etc.) to the fashionable (a seemingly endless supply of lycra based clothing items) to the downright bizarre (chamois cream anyone?) The true cyclist never bores of searching for new items to improve their cycling pleasure. In fact this is almost a pastime in itself.
Cyclists are particularly precious about their clothing. I once read a piece in Cycling Weekly by "The Doc" (Michael Hutchison, a renown British Time Triallist and author of "The Hour - Sporting Immortality the Hard Way", a great read) about cyclists and their wardrobes. He made the following point . It would not be unusual for a cyclist to turn up at their end of year dinner wearing a twenty year old suit. However, the same cyclist would happily spend hundreds of pounds changing their range of cycling specific socks as the current trend was towards ones half an inch longer!

So it was with great gusto that I began preparing myself for the Etape Caledonia. I figured that one of the first things I would need to get right would be my attire. I felt sure that this was an opportunity for me to expand my cycling wardrobe. I should not have worried. Believe it or not The Geoff Thomas Foundation have their own range of clothing including jersey, bibshorts*, gillet and cap.




I ordered these items through The Geoff Thomas Foundation website (I will actually qualify for a free jersey as the total has passed £500 raised, one of the many benefits of raising money for GTF). They have an online shop. The garments are made by Impsports of Lincoln. They took a week or two to arrive and when they did, I was very pleasantly surprised by their quality. The temptation is to think that because they are not mainstream items, they may be slightly inferior. Nothing could be further from the truth. The sizing is spot on and the material is of a very high standard. The all important chamois insert was very comfy and well shaped. I will definitely be wearing these as much as I can during my training and obviously on the big day.

I am normally pretty conservative with my cycling wardrobe (apart from a penchant for white sunglasses!). I usually choose black, or blue but the GTF stuff is a very bright colour, lime green! If nothing else, this means there should be no excuses for people not spotting me when I am out and about on the bike. Remember, if you see me, give me a honk on your horn and a wave!



Take care,

Col.

*for the un-initiated, bibshorts are a cycling specific garment. They feature a padded insert, which helps to prevent saddle soreness. Originally this was a chamois insert but is now a synthetic pad. The quality and comfort varies hugely and a good pad is one of the main features of a good pair of bibshorts. They also have lycra straps that pass over the shoulders to stop the shorts riding up or falling down whilst on the bike. Gaps in your clothing at the lower back are common when riding due to the prone position, bibshorts prevent this.

No comments:

Post a Comment