Monday 13 April 2009

Beautiful Day

You will all have had that feeling when everything just seems to go right. No matter whether it is work, sport or in your social life, there are some days where everything just seems to click. I was lucky enough to have one of those days today.

I have set aside Mondays as the days for my longer rides in the last few weeks leading up to the Etape. I was therefore absolutely delighted to see the sun shining when I got up this morning. It meant short sleeves and the summer bike for the first time this year (a lot of cyclists will have two bikes, a winter and a summer. The winter bike is the workhorse, often an older bike, fitted with weather beating accessories like mudguards and maybe load carrying rack and panniers). Using the summer bike means freedom from this extra weight and the feeling of flying...

I deliberately chose a flat route but felt really good as I sped off to Kilmarnock down the old A77. The weather was perfect. Not too hot and not too cold (although I did meet an Aussie cyclist over in Glasgow for a year - still wearing full length tights, jacket and skull cap!). The scenery was delightful (Ayrshire is really beautiful from a bike).

All in all I managed 40 miles in 2 hours 15 minutes. Back in time to play with the kids in the sunshine. So good pacing but still only half distance. Not to worry, shan't spoil my good day thinking about that...

All the best,

Col.

No comments:

Post a Comment